Re: Indian classical music

Loopers,

All this talk of Indian Classical music is something that is close to my
heart as I've been studying Tabla(North Indian drums) off and on when time
permits for several years. I haven't heard anyone mention that there are 2
traditions  of Indian Classical music. One is  North Indian which is
Hindustani including sitars,tablas,etc,and features improvisation as a main
feature of its style(?). The other is an older tradition the Carnatic
(South Indian) which is more structured and the compositions are more fixed
as far as I know. The Carnatic features  the Vina,violin and other
instruments. All this I'm writing off the top of my head so I know I've
left some instruments and info out. To truly study this music you
traditionally find a guru(teacher) and spend years studying your instrument
before you go out and play. Usually books are not used to teach but
teaching is done one on one with ones' guru. I know books are used more
nowadays probably due to the influence of the West. One of the best sources
for Indian Music books, instruments,recordings,etc. is the Ali Akbar Khan
college of Indian music in San Rafael ,CA .
Their phone number is 415-454-0581. They also have a Web page but I don't
have the URL handy at the moment ,sorry. They publish one of the most
thorough books on North Indian Classical music I've seen called  "The
Classical Music of North India" by Ali Akbar Khan . It is about  $50 but it
is over 350 pages.

                                                                 Later , Ed
Drake