RE: Indian classical music

For anyone desiring an excellent introduction to Carnatic music, I
recommend Shankar's albums _Who's to Know?_ and the more recent _Raga
Aberi_.

[Does anyone need to be told that this musician and Ravi Shankar are not
the same person?] This Shankar's first name (his surname, I believe) is
Lakshminorayana. On his first western recordings, he was known as "L.
Shankar", and lately he has even dropped the "L." (Too bad; I enjoy
tongue-twisting non-English words.)

Shankar plays a 10-stringed, double-necked electric violin of his own
design. He is unbelievably virtuosic. He's played on a lot of western
popular-style (pop, rock, jazz, ambient) albums, to good effect.

- George

Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:RE- Indian classical music (????/----)
(0000CF86)