a good book

another interesting book dealing heavily with improvisation:

"Forces in Motion: Anthony Braxton and the meta-reality of creative music"
by Graham Lock.

Braxton hasn't done any "looping" as far as I'm aware, but there is a
piece on his album "Six Compositions: Quartet" which has a ostinato
pattern (basically a loop) that gets passed around from one member of the
quartet to another, its track 3, "Composition No. 34."  In the book, he
talks a bit about what he calls a "pulse track" which is a kind of
repeating pattern that usually has some space within it for some
improvisation, but has a very steady rhythm.  I think the ways in which
he manipulates these pulse tracks in his compositions may be of interest
to loopers.

-Jon