Bug or Feature -- anyone else experience this?

Clipped Off Sounds

OK.  Here's something I experience with my Echoplex that I find challenging
:-)
I often use a volume pedal and a 400ms delay so that I can very gradually
bring in a "sound" and fade it down.  Kinda non-revolutionary, I know.  But
works for what I do.

The trouble is when I bring in the note quietly, my Echoplex -- while
passing
the sound to my amp -- waits until there is enough gain to RECORD it so the
beginning of the sound seems to be clipped-off.

Now I know there IS a very cool feature to turn RECORD on when a note is
played  and the "trigger-gain-sensitivity" can be set.  I've used it once
or
twice.  But I turned this feature off.  In fact, I've RESET the machine
twice
to make sure I've turned it off.

So, my question is anyone else experiencing this clipped-off sound
situation?
And, are there any fixes?

David Kirkdorffer