Re: COMPRESSOR?!?!

At 04:06 PM 10/16/96 -0700, you wrote:
>> Matthias replied:
>>
>> >  Did you try to use the Plex' internal compressor for this? Its just a
>> >  simple limiter, simple to access by simply overloading the input...
>> >
>> >  Matthias
>> What internal compressor?  I guess I missed that in the manual!   Once
>again
>> I'm learning something new from this list.
>
>This comes as no small shock to me.  I didn't know there was *any* sort
>of internal compression on the unit; I certainly didn't see any mention
>of it in the manaul.

Well, there sort of is, but not really. We have a hardware limiter in
there,
but it never actually worked right, so we didn't bother to tell anyone
about
it. I think it might come on at some point, probably keeping an already
distorting signal from distorting even more.

I think I know a way to modify it so that it does work. I figured that out
shortly before I left g-wiz, since we were planning a minor hardware
upgrade
at the time to fix emi problems. (I don't think that upgrade has been
implemented, and probably never will.)

It's not a real easy mod, so it's probably not worth the trouble. I'll post
it on the web site some day for all you echoplex hardware hackers.

As far as input sensitivity, there are some resistor value changes that
adjust the input and output gains that are worth doing. Definitely an
easier
mod. Basically reduces the input gain so that it is easier to adjust, and
increases the output gain so that you can get signal levels up to +4dbu.
Don't remember it off the top of my head, I'll look for it when I get
home.

kim

Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
OEM Engineering                 kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research