Re: Analog Echoplex

>I just found an analog echoplex in mint condition for $250.00.  Is that a
>good price?

I don't know....I guess so.  I've never seen them for less.

>Also, I hear so much about the digital echoplex.  Is the digital echo an
>attempt to emulate the analog, or is it just a different effect?  So much
>of the analog effect is due to its mechanical and temperamental nature, so
>I wonder about the digital's efficacy.

I don't know a lot about the analog echoplex, but I'm sure the Oberheim
Echoplex is a different beast.  For one thing, it has total MIDI
implementation, ie. you can control all the functions via MIDI, and it will
sync to a MIDI clock device (and vice-versa).  Also, its got lots of
features like UNDO, MULTIPLY, INVERSE (play loop backwards), which I doubt
the original unit has.  Plus you can have up to 9 loops, with a total of
(up to) 198 seconds of loop time.

While there's some purposes that I prefer to have analog (such as synth
oscillators, or recording kick drums or bass -- for that analog
compression, or an analog delay -- for that rounded, echoy sound), I prefer
digital for most reproduction purposes.  You get full bandwidth, no tape
hiss, and no degredation over time.  Most of my sound sources are analog,
so I'm not worried about the "brittleness" that comes from a full-digital
system.  I can see the value of using the limited bandwidth or degradtion
to make cool sounds that you couldn't get with digital, but for me, this
isn't worth it.  Of course, it depends what you're using it for, and what
you like....

- Chris

Chris Chovit
cho@gomez.jpl.nasa.gov