Re: Analog Echoplex

At 02:55 PM 10/17/96 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Victor Fiorillo wrote:
>
>> I just found an analog echoplex in mint condition for $250.00.  Is that
good price?

>I've seen mint Echoplexes for sale around LA for as much as $450.  That's
>a very good price, I'd say.  However, I'm led to believe that the
>original tape 'plexes needed to have their tapes changed periodically.
>Can anyone back me up on this?

prices depend on whether it is the original tube echoplex or the slightly
later solid-state version made by Maestro. Try to guess which one is worth
more...

$250 is probably for the solid state version. You can tell those because
they are in a black case. The tube version was green. The tube one is
highly
prized, probably going for $450 and up if you can even find one. If you
want
to sound like Hendrix or Eric Johnson, you want tubes. Either one will
probably give you that tape hiss/warmth that some people like so much. This
is all heresy, of course, cause I've never actually use either one.

You can get tapes form Jim Dunlop.

kim
Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
OEM Engineering                 kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research