Boy, this fella wants some deep conversation

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996 Paulpop@ssnet.com wrote:

> The ongoing dialog of the advantages of the Echoplex over the Jamman come
> across as unnecessary, elitist and offensive.  There are people here who
> use the Jamman daily.

If you dig the JamMan, more power to you.  Just because the Plex is my
personal preference doesn't mean there's something wrong with the JamMan.
Under the prevailing circumstances, you're well justified in your
preference.  And as I've said before, the Vortex is sometimes more fun to
use than the Oberheim!

> Can we begin talking about how we compose, how we might use these ideas
>in
> performance, what musical surprises have occurred, what mistakes became
> part of the texture ...

See my last couple of posts.  Also consider:

-- Has anyone noticed that the best loops always seem to happen when
you're just sort of noodling around, not trying to do anything?
Conversely, has anyone found deliberately trying to re-enact a particular
loop almost invariably results in an unsatisfying endeavor?

-- Loopists are always thinking about how to expand their looping time,
but I've found some of the most interesting loops tend to happen within
very short timeframes.  That's another thing I like about the Vortex; the
fact that it's got less than two seconds of sampling time forces the loops
to be of a short-duration value.  I've gotten things out of a 500 ms delay
set to near-infinite repeat that were positively mind-altering.

Thinking cap now clinging tightly to my very skull,

--Andre