Re: does hi volume change your perormance?

>>  you will never be able to loop in a crowded smoky bar.  no one will
>listen.
>>  you can't open for the local prog band...no one will listen.
>
>I'm trying to get gigs at regular rock venues.  I'm positively disposed to
>the outcome too!  Getting gigs in clubs has to do with more than just the
>sound of the music.
>
>The real attraction to me is to here these loops I create at ungodly
>volumes.
>All things being equal, does anyone else find the VOLUME of theperformance
>changes the improv-loops you create?
>
>David Kirkdorffer

huh? speak up!

My neighbors are currently holding a rave, with dj's producing techno loops
at steadily increasing volumes. I'm sitting here enjoying it quite a lot,
and will be heading over soon. I'd rather be on that side of the wall when
the pictures come flying off mine....besides, how often do you guys get to
see great dj performances just by going next door? Not for everyone I
imagine....

I for one, like volume. (with ear protection of course!)  I grew up on a
steady diet of the most aggressive music I could find, and it don't sound
right if its not loud! Loud loops are fine, especially for dancing or for
more aggressive styles.

My playing often tends to be on the aggressive/angry/violent/harsh/rhythmic
side of things where volume really gives it power. I'm also increasingly
interested in dance styles, where the volume actually makes you feel the
rhythm in your body and gives you the urge to dance and move. I can do the
somn-ambient office atrium sort of thing, but my heart wouldn't be in it. I
wouldn't be such a great choice anyway, since I'd almost certainly get
subversive and start adding some rather inapprpriate elements.

To me an interesting loop performance situation would be jamming with dj's
and techno-technicians at some all night party. Lots of volume, heavy bass,
light shows, strange videos going. wonder if its too late to drag my junk
next door....

kim