Re: Okay, let's get philosophical: Performance Theory time

> a piece I'm about to take on tour(iEAR MFA show) consists of an indian
> classical dancer wearing white with the position of being a living
>dancing
> screen, a looping trigger percussionist, and
>guitar/looping/synthing/dancing.

This looks very interesting; it reminds me of a videotape Prof. George
Lewis showed us of an Indonesian performer who triggered samples of his own
voice himself relating his own life story as he danced.  Do you plan to
have your performances videotaped?

> there seems to be a very fine line in performance with what is live...
>what
> is triggered, what is sampled, what is sequenced. sometimes I'd like to
>tell
> certain solo performers that they shoulda just used a portadat - over
>all the
> mac gear/midi gear/digi audio gear/ and max programming and lickmachine
> programming and all the junque and time that is spent and goes wrong in
>such
> a performance.
> background of this is a show I just teched/videoed... the performer read
>from
> a score that had footswitch points along with music notation. as he
>played
> flute he would trigger sequences, samples, effects patches and etc.
>yeah, it
> sounded great, and it was cool.... but! I spent five hours with him
>fixing
> his gear/soldering/testing/resoldering/reprogramming/resoundchecking....
> and when it came down to the performance, would it have made any
>difference
> to the audience?

Folks I have seen who have dared to perform interactive computer music
live seemed to prefer Powerbooks instead of a full blown desktop system
because laptops fold up nicely and are easily transported. There was a
performer from Mills College who had a nice velvet-glove-to-computer kind
of interactive setup.  I should have asked her and George what measures
they take to minimize possible glitches in setup and performance.

No offense to David Jaffe, but for one of his performances, he just popped
in a tape and we had to sit there and listen to it.  To me this was not
as interesting as watching him on MIDI violin and his partner on Radio Drum
wreaking computer-enhanced electronic havoc.  I guess I'm of the old school
mentality where I expect from a live performance certain elements that
can't
be gotten from listening to the same piece from some recording.

Paolo Valladolid