Re: Infinity Guitar

> additive/resynthesis techniques being developed at cnmat. Naturally, it
> used the ZIPI network/musical desciption language protocol that we were
> also developing.

ZIPI sounded like something with a lot of potential. What a shame it
will probably never see the light of day.

> Personally, I hate guitar synthesizers. It's fun for two minutes while I
> play a note and say "golly, it comes out sounding like a digiridoo!" But
> then I notice myself getting bored and losing interest. The problem is
>that
> no matter how I play the note, the digiridoo, or tamborine, or whatever,
> sounds EXACTLY the same. All of the expressive techniques I've spent my
> whole life learning to do on guitar strings are totally filtered out. No
> thanks. The infinity was to actually use all the expressive control of
>the
> guitarist to control the synthesis, which I found quite exciting.

The only product I know of that fits that description today (access to
cool non-guitar-like sounds yet with allowance for expressive guitar
techniques) is the Roland VG8.  It's  a shame there really isn't a
competing
product.  The folks on the Digital Guitar list said that while the VG8
lives up to the hype as far as being responsive to expressive techniques,
they found it somewhat lacking in programmability.

Since most of the synthesizer sounds that have caught my interest can be
duplicated by guitars equipped with today's signal processing technology
(effects, volume pedals, breath controllers, Ebow, looping devices, etc.)
I'd probably be more interested in getting a good sampler than a
synthesizer,
mainly for cataloging percussion and guitar noises for cut-and-paste.

Paolo Valladolid