Re: lobbying for upgrades.

>Matthias writes:
>>Jon Durant, what would you say as an old professional?
>
>First, I'm not old. I just feel that way sometimes when my two boys run me
>ragged!!!

See, I do not even have BOYS!

>Second, and more to the point: Getting Composers on our side is a tricky
>issue.
>For example: Bill Frisell has been using a JamMan for years, mostly as a
>compositional tool. In his live performances, he generally still uses his
>trusty
>old Electro Harmonix thingy. Why? Because he can take a loop and speed it
>up or
>slow it down using the delay time (something no cuurrent looping device
>can do).
>So his use of the device is completely hidden to the general public.

Maybe not that completely, in the end.

>>For them we need demonstrations or a video "how to apply loops in rock
>>music" or so.
>
>Did anyone see the Lexicon JamMan Video?

Yes. It gave me the feeling that we could do it much better.  :-)
But then Oberheim...
A friend had some great ideas to explain graphically what happens. One day
we will do it, you'll see. And maybe together instead of beeing
competidors.

>>- Amateurs that start playing and grab the loop quicker than the
>>instrument they are using and therefore are happy to be able to create
>>something musiclike on the loop from the start (some techno rythm for
>If we could hook a band like the Cure to start using one and talking about
>it, then it would be a big lift. So my British distributor tried to get
>me into
>the sessions for their last record (recorded at Jane Seymour's house!),
>but they
>had started work and didn't want to be interrupted. Of course, the record
>stiffed, and they *never* talk about gear, so it wasn't a big loss.

Yes it was. I think the return cannot be that immediate, but broad. The
musicians form some kind of a pyramid, handing tricks from level to level.
Whatever the cracks invent in some hidden big studio, the kids do some
years afterwards, without even knowing how they learned it.
If we had learned only from record covers, we would still play like
Clapton.

>Meanwhile, the way to get kids to get into it is through the dealers. And
>we all
>know how likely that is to happen: It isn't. Besides, there's a major
>price
>barrier for beginners: You can't sell them a looper that costs more than
>their
>guitar, and that means the thing has to cost about $200 max. Probably
>more like
>$100.
>
>So where does this leave us? Personally, I'm frightened by the outlook in
>the
>present tense. I do know that there are a couple of guys at Lexicon who
>believe
>in the potential. Of course, they happen to be the two guys who created
>the
>JamMan and modify PCM 42s.

Where are these people? Don't they feel like participating on the list and
be lined up under the heroes on the loop site?

>Believe it or not, the answer really comes from one
>place: the dealers. (I know, I know...) The management of Lexicon is
>completely
>conviced that the word of Sam Ash and Guitar Center is the word of God.
>If we
>could convince these guys to start pestering the manufacturers, then we
>might
>see movement.

So lets walk into these shops and start talking about looping and shows
and...

>True story: At one point, I tried to put forth a proposal that went way
>beyond
>reason, but that I thought would work: I suggested that an upgrade to the
>JamMan, adding the most requested features (which had already been
>developed and
>tested by the product's creator in a personal quest for the coolest thing
>going)
>should be done, not because we'd sell more, but because it was the
>professional
>thing to do. Stand behind your customers. It would have generated
>excellent
>press, and would have said a whole lot about why Lexicon is the
>professional
>choice. And it really wouldn't have costed a whole lot of money--you could
>write
>it off to the PR account! The idea gained steam, until the words "JamMan
>Upgrade" were raised in a management meeting and were met with howls of
>laughter. NEXT!

Is that when you left. I see, I am not the only one mistreated.

>OK, I'm leaking confidential secrets of life at Lex, and I'm sure Kim
>could
>regale us all with some charmers from Oberheim/Gibson land, but this is
>the
>reality: Looping is a sore subject for these companies, and it won't
>improve
>until Alesis comes out with a winner and makes everyone look stupid. (Did
>I just
>say that? JD, you've come a long way in 9 months...)

Yes. And I want to participate on that Alesis product!

Mattias