re:Hello and intro

Fellow loop minded people,

I just joined the mailing list this week.  I am so excited to find you
folks that also have an interest in looping.  I am overwhelmed with the
knowledge and backgrounds bundled here.  I'm not worthy :-)

I have been trying to resolve some problems with my echoplex with Mike
Lyon at Oberheim (must I say a division of Gibson?), and he forwarded my
Email to Kim Flint.  Kim told me about the list, and I joined immediately.
 Thanks Kim!

I will fill out the form for personal info, but if you  don't mind I will
tell you a little about my history and interests.

The first time I heard an echo device I was captivated.  It was in the
60's, and was Chet Atkins playing with the Boston Pops on TV.  He used the
original Echoplex while playing _Snowbird_, it was awesome to me.  As a
pre teen I tried to modify my (toy) tape recorder to do loops and echo,
with little success.  The sounds never left my head, though.

In the 70's I bought an analog delay line with about 1 second delay.
Finally I could play what I heard, albeit only short loops.  I dreamed of
having a few seconds to play with.  The analog delay could make some
wonderful distortions as the regenerated signal dissolved and mutated.

When I heard about the Jamman, I ordered one.  A week or so later I found
out about the Echoplex DP's features.  Before I received the Jamman, I
realized I probably would prefer the Echoplex.  When I got the Jamman I
knew I wanted the  Echoplex.  I took the Jamman on a business trip to
Singapore, and decided to put more ram in it.  I know the city well, and
shopped and shopped, but no Zip ram could be found.  I finally found some
in Malaysia, but at some outrageous price like $350.  I traded in the
Jamman for the echoplex upon returning to the states.

I play 6 string electric bass as my primary instrument.  I was a guitar
player first, but prefer to do the bulk of my looping with electric bass
both 4 and 6 string.  I have on occasion used small Moog analog synths
(micro Moog, and prodigy) in loops.  I also do binaural Dat recordings of
various sources, musical, mechanical, and environmental.  Traffic to
Helicopters to people to frogs.  I enjoy sound and _noises_.  I'm not
alone in this, among you, I suspect.

My first problem with the Echoplex was that static on the foot pedal would
cause the loop contents to be deleted.  Kim has suggested some grounding
approachs that I suspect will help this.

Lately, my problem has been the start point of the loops moving when I use
next loop a lot.  After creating 2 loops, and enhancing them with multiply
and overdub, I nextloop from one multiple in loop 1 to a single multiple
in loop 2, and repeat.  Eventually the start point of these loops move,
and I have to reset the start points manually.

I have been waiting 1 week for a response from Mike Lyon about the
hardware mods and new PLD's for my echoplex.  He said he would send them
to me or do the work there, I said send them, but no response from him
that he would or when.

Kim, or anyone else, if you can help me know what the mods address, and if
any of them will fix the loop start point shift problem I would be
grateful.  My Echoplex was checked OK on 2 April 96 on the PCBA.

I have been reading the archives to catch up.  I too would like to
participate in the loopers pool CD, if the ante is not too great.  I think
I am the only 6 string bass looper here so far.

Forgive the long Email, I am just so thrilled to find you people.

regards,
bret