Re: new standard tuning

At 06:37 PM 11/3/96 -0300, you wrote:

>>C   G   D   A   E  G
>
>I do not think I will learn another tuning with a irregularity.
>
>>3) Forget about BENDING.  It will break strings, almost always.  (Of
>course
>>you can get away with on the bottom 3 or 4 strings if you really want.
>
>I would rather play without strings than without bending.
>
>Thanks a lot anyway.
>Matthias

Just like short loops with sudden endings with NO REVERB...perhaps playing
without bending might force one to play in a new and different fashion...

can one express emotion through the guitar WITHOUT recourse to the
blues/standard "emotive" sound of a bend?  if you WANT to bend, of course
DO, in OST.  but in NST...there are challenges to be met.

don't dismiss it out of hand.  and the irregularity in NST is far simpler
and easier to overcome than the crippling, hand-it-down-for-centuries
(lutes
onward) oh-god-it's a fourth-instead-of-a-fifth "standard tuning"

it least in NST you have five strings, in sequence, in which scales are
IDENTICAL and UNIQUE.  no having to worry when you get to that third
string...

it's all in your perspective, my friend.  you of all people will
understand...

try it anyway.  ask yourself: can I make even better music WITHOUT bending?

i find more and more the answer is yes.  also: in NST, i constantly use the
WHAMMY II pedal for pitch manipulation, octaving and bending.  so in this
sense...it makes no difference WHAT the strings are tuned to.

if not whammying: NST no bending.

if whammying: NST no bending

(or: OST no bending)

just trying to confuse the hell out of everyone :)

dave at studio seventeen

173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168

*               *  *  *  *  *    I'll be downstairs if you need me.  I'll
still be
*                  *     downstairs if you DON'T need me.
*                          *         (Mr. Blint, Consequences/Godley &
Creme)

visit: http:www.adnc.com/web/ambient/index.html
seventeen: the ambient music page

173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168