Re: MIDI Loops

> >What I gather from the community of interactive computer music folks is
> >that Max is a great tool for prototyping interactive music systems.
>Some of
> >them then go and program their systems in a faster language like Forth,
> >after using Max to quickly build a prototype.
> >
> >The Powerbook is nice for its portability, which is a big plus for live
> >performance.  Last I heard, all five members of the computer music band
> >The Hub had switched to Powerbooks as the computer of choice for live
> >computer music because of the portability and the ability to run Max.
>
> Is this an exeption or a market (soon)? Certainly Max is great for
> prototyping but will non engineer musicians use it commonly in the
>future?

Max was designed to be used by non-engineers, so there are a fair number
of users with no engineering background at all.  You put together a Max
program (which we call a "patch") using a graphical interface; you select
the objects you want then you drag them around with a mouse and draw lines
to hook them up.

I think Opcode still considers Max too esoteric to port to the Windows
platform, though.

Paolo Valladolid