Re: The West Coast Summit

Hi there!

Andre, here is my own response to your list of
questions about performance preferences for
the loop users summit.

1. BEST TIME--For me, anytime after NAMM (mid
January '97). In my day gig I'm ramping up to that
even now and don't have any more spare brain cells
for extracurricular creativity. Prefered days are
Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. No midweeks
please...

2. GEAR REQUIREMENTS--Fairly simple, if need
be. One AC outlet, and enough space for a stool,
a 12-space rack (on casters), a couple of guitar
stands, A GR-1 and a bunch of EV-5 pedals. And, if
there is a full-range system available, I'll only
need two channels on the board (I can bring my
own pair of direct boxes). Can we assume that there
will be a "stage" mike of some sort (to make silly
comments between pieces if need be)? If so that
would be nice. If not, oh well...I'm not that good
at telling jokes anyway.

As far as list of my "gear" goes it would take a
while to list out item by item. How 'bout just a
list of potential instruments...the candidates are
midi-augmented electric guitar, 6- and/or 12-string
acoustic guitars, birimbau, kalimba, cunbus (a sort
of a mandolin/banjo from Turkey), 2 midi wind
controllers (cheapo Casio ones no less, taped
together as a mutant "siamese" pair), miscellaneous
mallets, sticks, springs and other gadgetry to hit,
rub, and scrape things with, as well as the things
to hit, rub, and scrape (in addition to all of the
above abused instruments) pieces of metal, toys.
and perhaps a sampler...

More than likely it'll just be the rack, the electric
guitar and just one other instrument. But, if the show
starts to look a bit too guitar heavy, I can do other
things to add alittle contrast. When in doubt...punt.

3. SET LENGTH--About an hour would be fine, much
less than that and it's hardly worth the trouble to
schlepp the gear and set up. More would be nice,
but realistically, a little hard on the audience if
they're not used to it (without a break)

4. UNREHEARSED COLLABORATIONS--I'd love it. That
is what I do (whenever I do perform with others). Life
is too short to spend it rehearsing. Don't get me wrong,
It's not like I'm any sort of phenom, or virtuoso, or any
such thing (far from it). I guess I'm just too stupid,
or crazy (or both) to be much affraid of being out of
my depth any more. Life really is too short. If music
is a language, I love a good conversation. I'm fairly at
home with that concept.

5. TIME OF DAY--If it's indoors, it doesn't matter much.
Anytime between noon and 2:00am. Beyond that, I'll not
be too picky. I do rather dislike outdoor gigs in open
sunshine though...

6. VENUE TYPE--Anywhere where an attendee who really
wants to hear what's going on can (without too many
"mechanical" distractions). I play both very loud and very
soft. Some places that have the cash register, capuchino
machine, or margarita blender right next to the stage
can totally distract a performer and audience from what
has been refered to as that "ritual" and (I believe) mutual
act of making music. However, the other normal noises
of a coffehouse or bar are no problem though. So, while an
academic or theatrical venue might actually be preferable
to me, I've played in enough java joints and jazz clubs to
know how to cope with the real world.

If it turns out that it happens in the Bay area, I've only
been there as a tourist. I don't know my way around much
there. I could probably make it though. I guess I'm about
100 miles closer than you folks down in L.A. are.

Thank you for all of the work you are doing to pull this
together, Andre. I hope this info is of some help.

Take care
Ted