Viola......

In fact, at first the "viola de gamba" had six strings. Then Mr de Saintes
Colombes (his first name was never known) added a seventh in the low
register. (it was around the end of the 17th century). He had relationship
that remain obscure with another viola genius named Marin Marais. This
later man entered the court of Louis the XIV. Saintes Colombes could'nt
stand mundane way of life and only dedicated himself to craft, to the
point of not taking good care of his children. He refused to play for the
King, which astonishingly excused (that could have led him in prison for
life) because his genius was well known, and never made it to the court
despite extensive try. We know very little otherwise of the man, he
destroyed nearly all his work saved for a few books Marin Marais stole.
I'm not sure but the tuning (before this seventh string) was fourth with a
major third, like another 6 string intrument you all know.

Check anything from Viola virtuso Jordi Savall..... This intrument is
thousands time more "human" and richer than the cello it gave birth. It
has more polyphony too. One of the best thing I've heard.

Olivier still-addicted-to-viola-de-gamba Malhomme