The Mermen

I saw the Mermen in Boston a few months ago.  I'd heard great things
about them from a friend in San Fran.

I couldn't believe the amount of equipment the guitarist had with him!
Basically two refrigerator sized racks and many many floor pedals (eg.,
four earnie ball volume controlers) running in a stereo set-up. Oh yes,
he has two echoplexes.  And a few Fenderesque guitars each with Synth
pick-ups.

Basically, there were two lines of thought circulating among the many
musicians in attendance:

1.  "Wow, I'd love to have that much cool outboard gear."
2.  "Wow, I'd be embarassed to have so much outboard gear, and still
only sound like I was using an analog 2-second delay."

Some subtle looping did occure, but mostly not.

David Kirkdorffer