Re[2]: Vortex Applications Notes

Andre:

> That's funny -- practically all of my user registers are filled with
>some
> of the most bizarre, brain-bending, stomach-turning things I've ever
>heard.

Me too!  Actually, I kind of use the original patches as "the tasteful
stuff
I use to plau normal music" and the user register's as "Todd's Playground
of
the Audio disturbed..."

> I don't *understand* it that much either, to tell you the truth.  There
> are a couple of very bizarre patches that seem to have minds of their
> own, and behave in unpredictable ways.  My approach is usually along the
> lines of, "HMMM, let's see what this thing does if I turn X control to Y
> settings..." and then behold the onslaught.

That's what I LOVE about the box - that I have a series of settings that
respond and sound totally different depending on the level of delay I've
set for the effect, or how soft or hard I play.

One patch I have on it makes my $90 Casio keyboard I bought at a local
discount store sound like a $5,000 keyboard.  Just this huge pad sound.
Massive.

Other patches make things sound tortured and wretched.  I've got one
patch, it's the greatest - if I put my drum machine through it - the
resonators cause the snare drum to ring like it's the loudest, most
nasty snare ever recorded.  It caused one of my jamming partners to
laugh out loud because it sounded like an alternative rock drummer
hitting the snare as hard as s/he could.  It instantly makes my
lush sounding demo the crappiest, grainy sounding thing ever, but
has tons of character.  It sounds like some hip hop thing, but
me doing hiphop is like tiny tim doing death metal!

> The big problem (and the great thing about the box, as well) is that
>since
> every single effect responds differently to the same general family of
> settings, memorizing what a certain control setting does is only good for
> that particular patch.  So turning up depth 2 has a very different result
> on the escalator-over-the-seesaw pitch-shift thingie than it does on the
> robot-gargling-salt-water jobbie.

I love your descriptions!  But the whole idea is to trade patches and
have a place to start that might not be exactly identical to what you
create, but gives a nice place to start and then tweak it and make it
your own.

> I'm reluctant to post too many patches, partially because of time and
> partically because they're so wierd that I'm hesitant to give them away.
> Besides, there's no great secret; all you have to do is sit down with
>each
> effect and tweek parameters 'till the cows come home.  You might be
> surprised -- I still can't believe this is the same box I demoed at
> Guitar Center.

It does take time, and I'm unsure if the patches I posted earlier helped
anyone, however, I'd like to see some patches others have tried.  And yeah,
if I went to Guitar Center now, I could totally and completely DESTROY
minds
with some sounds I could create on the fly!

Todd.