Re: Beyond Fripp (long)

Andre writes:
>When Torn staged his solo tour in support of "Tripping" (and Trilok
>>Gurtu),
many of the songs were accompanied by DAT backing tracks or drum
>machines.

Actually, all the backing bits were loops/samples on his Roland 770
samplers,
controlled by an old MIDI controller. And, much of the noise was being
generated
live as well. If you were close enough to see, you could tell which was
which by
wathing his right hand moving faders!

>One thing that I would have to say is that Fripp is the first person I'm
>aware of who was using real-time looping in a live performance context.

I've heard that in the old days of Roxy Music (when Eno was in the band)
Phil
Manzanera was using a "prototype" frippertonics system live. Can't confirm
this
myself, but maybe someone else out there can.

Travis chimes in:
>Indeed, the bulk of Fripp guest appearances in the last few
>years have been of the background-Soundscapes variety, and some people
>have speculated that he just sends the interested party some tapes and
>lets them pick through to find what might be useful to them.  I'm not
>saying this is a bad idea.

Which is also why Torn did his Tonal Textures CD ROM (and the forthcoming
Pandora's Toolbox CD ROM). He was being used in soundtracks where he had
no idea
(and payment for same, btw) that he was being used, because people got a
hold of
some dats, etc. So now he's making himself available cheap to people who
are
willing to fork over $100 bucks for 70 mins worth of loopage.

Later,
Jon