looping techniques (was Re:Beyond Fripp)

>Think about this: When a musician first learns how to play a G major
>scale,
>do they immediately unleash a torrent of hip altered-G post-bob lines?

Is that post-bob as in post- Bob Fripp?

> Those weren't the folks who brought us the electric guitar lexicon we
>have
> today!

Well I have a guitar lexicon.  I thought you used an Oberheim.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.  It's Christmas)

BTW one way of changing the structure - of possibly the precieved tempo -
is to loop your chords but not your bassline (I guess most people do it the
other way around).  By changing the phrasing of the bassline you can
achieve dramatic shifts without changing loop length or anything.  I picked
up on this when Glass' "Spaceship" from Einstein on the Beach was played on
the radio.  The piece builds in intensity without ever adding more
instruments, just by varying the organ part beneath a "looped" choral part.
 Very impressive.

Michael

Dr Michael Pycraft Hughes      Bioelectronic Research Centre, Rankine Bldg,
Tel: (+44) 141 330 5979        University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, U.K.
        "Everything in moderation, including moderation" (Zen Proverb)