about the problem of brotherhood

>-- [ From: Sabine L. * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

For a little moment I felt lucky to have met the first female loopist.
Where...

Then I realized, it was Todd ho asked me privately:

>I understand you developed the Oberheim Echoplex unit. I am currently
>using
>it and need some help in finding a way to hook up two units, one for me
>and
>one for my music partner and be able to control the overdub, multiply and
>undo functions independently of each other with both machines syncronized
>with each other. Either of the machines could set the initial record loop
>time. That would be fine for my application.

Try this:

- Connect both machines BrotherSync with a stereo 1/4" cable.
- Set both to Sync = Out
- Do a record on one unit. The SYNC LED (green dot between the two MULTI
digits) of the other unit should start blinking at each start of the
brothers loop.
Then the second unit can record. It will happen quantized, which means that
the recording will only start and stop at the loop start of the first units
- which forces it to be of the same (or a multiple) length. Due to the
sample sync through the stereo cable, the two units will not run away from
each other.

In the beginning, this use of quantization only for syncing may confuse
you:
+ It is switched on automatically with the first click that comes in. So
you have to wait for that if you want to follow your brother.
+ Possible trouble is that the brother forgets to reset his unit after
sound is faded and when you start the next loop, you are forced into the
old timing again.
 -> ask the brother to please *&%# reset and then play again.
+ Similar trouble: If your brothers unit was reset after yours and you want
to start the next trip, your unit will wait forever for sync coming and not
start recording.
 -> reset your unit and start Record again (or is it enough to just press
Record a second time? In the newer soft versions, a second press makes
escape from the quantizing wait state and I do not remember about the
"current" because I only used it for a month, over two years ago - what a
weird world...)

Do those confusions come from the stupidity of the machine or of the user?
Whenever the machine does not count with the stupidity of the user, I
consider it stupid itself - and reverse. Usually it takes two unaware
parties for an error to happen: it takes a *transmitter and a receiver* (on
stage for example: an unfiltered light system *and* a sensitive sound
system. In politics: a power abuser and a unconscious population).
SAD:  Usually the transmitter and the receiver start discussing about who
is guilty instead of resolving the problem on both sides...

Needless to say that we have a much better proposual for SyncRecord in the
soon-to-be-released-all-too-famous-update (I could not stand to explain the
trouble to each partner that came to loop with me ;-> ) : No quantization
needed, and you decide on the spot whether you start with a synced or
unsynced loop. In other words: Record will make you master and Multipy
slave.

You will experience how nice it is to be slave amongst brothers...
- to be brother in any way!

Any more trouble just tell me!
Matthias

PS
You know what? It takes me two hours to write such a post, but I like
doing it!