Re: looped music/web

At 03:47 PM 4/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I recently possed the following question to Headspace about their new
>audio
>Netscape plug-in called Beatnik.

[interesting beatnik stuff]

>Has anyone tried playing back seamless loops from a PC using this plug-in?

Just install it and go to the Headspace site. Thomas Dolby's walk-through
examples include several looped audio parts. Also good examples of
interactive audio on a web page. They also have links to demonstration
sites
with more interesting stuff. I went to one created by a trip-hop dj that
let
you control four parts of a mix, with the ability to change the audio
samples in different parts, as well as mixing and muting the different
channels. It was a blast! Another page let you essentially compose an
ambient piece interactively by starting up various audio samples and
letting
them loop or go in and out, or whatever., all by interacting with a graphic
on the page. It was all incredibly cool.

Another thing my girlfriend noticed, is that midi files from the web sound
fantastic through beatnik. I think they have their own sample library,
which
replaces the crappy gm sounds we had through quicktime. I'm using it for
all
web based audio now, and highly recommend it.

kim
Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
VLSI Systems Engineering        kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research