Transduced bowed vibratories and the EP noise gater-thingy

Just had to add my US$0.02 (I loop 'cello with EP):

>Besides, if you use a bridge pick-up, (underwood, wilson,
>barbera etc. ) most high frequencies in amplified bowed bass sounds are
>artifacts of the pick-up (and are pretty obnoxious). This is less true
>with
>small mic. pick-ups that would get some of the resonation of the "box." I
>have an EQ setting that rolls off the highs when I bow anyway.

True: most high freq.s from a bridge transducer are squawky and difficult
to manage.  My latest trick is DAMPING as much resonance as possible, with
foam cores stuffed into the f-holes.  Great big hollow instrument bodies
(think many many times larger than BB King's) do not enjoy sitting in
the same space as their amplified looped selves.  Recommended for any
looping
"traditional" string player (or any electrified app.)...block body
resonance.
Sounds terrible unplugged, but all you want that transducer to feel is the
string vibe, not the body buzz.

>Don't get me wrong, the echoplex works GREAT for everything but the bow.
>If the input gate setting becomes an option in an update Im sure this
>would
>be fine too.

>I agree that the 'rang is not the choice for high-quality studio recording
>or if you are using a really full-range amplification system. Then maybe
>get
>the 'plex and try to compress the signal a bit before the input.

Two other good points.  I have not had much problem bowing through the EP.
Sometimes the gate gets out of hand unexpectedly, "oranges me", and I
sit there (pissed) listening to the digiclip static in the middle of a
killer
loop.  But, life happens.

1) If you're using a transducer, by all means, try a battery-powered
preamp.
Makes your tinny and thin piezo-level signal into a fuller-bodied richer
line-level signal.  Like making it into an "active" guitar.

2) First (and sometimes last effect) should always be analog compression.
This eliminates 95% of unpredictable EP NoiseGateGuy(tm) behavior.  I
found an
inexpensive solution to this problem in a used dbx 163X 1/2-rackspace over
easy
compresser/limiter.  One level set, a slider for controlling it, and
you're go.

>>You may want to consider that bowed strings have a very wide frequency
>>bandwidth. (I've measured them going well beyond human hearing range,
>>actually) The Boomerang's bandwidth is quite a bit lower than most other
>>delay units, but you should give it a try to see whether that's a problem
>>for you or not.

This is what sealed the deal on the EP...S/N ratio and dynamic range of its
digital audio is far superior to JamMan or 'Rang.  Not critical for most
guitar/amp combos (I see the 'Rang as more or less a stomp box for
guitar/bass
applications) but certainly preferred for looping voices, pianos, "found"
sounds, keyboards, etc.  EP is _crisp_.

--Russell