Re[2]: Dork has more to say

>mmason wrote, in part:

>>      I've got a Fender Musicmaster Bass amp, a 12 watt tube amp from
>1978.

John Pollock suggested:

>That's one of my Holy Grails! :-0

Exactly!  Who wouldn't want to sound like Bernard Paganotti, circa "De
Futura"?

>>      She sounds decent, but she makes a CRAPLOAD of noise.
>>
>>      Any of you techno-smart loopin folks know any ways I could quiet
>her
>>      down?

>Sure.  Pull the power plug. ;-)

No way.  Make it NOISIER.  Try a distortion pedal.
Here's a tip: listen to King Crimson's "Red" or Magma's "Udu Wudu" or
anything by current Swedish band Anekdoten.  You'll want yer
bass to sound fuzzier and blattier than ever!

I have two SWR amps with Bag End extension cabs, and a bandmate has an
Ampeg B2
head/Isovent cab stack.  With all that killer bass (or guitar) gear, what
do
I reach for when I'm ready to lay down the signature bass lines?  The
Star*Ter
10W paper-cone 8" amp (solid state with so much overdrive you can't even
hear
the fundamental) or my Roland Spirit 10 (with maybe a Big Muff Pi pedal).

There's no shame in gear that others would deem "crappy."  If it's really
noisy
and you need to play quiet/dynamic passages or use it for a "straight"
performance, yeah, you can try to get the hum out.  But if it's a "good"
hum,
leave it, I say!

--Russell