Re: Klein Electric Guitar

At 12:42 PM -0700 6/3/97, Sean Echevarria wrote:
>At 10:39 AM 6/2/97 -0700, Kim wrote:
>>Strummed acoustically it is
>>quite loud, like a 335. The resonance chamber does that for you.
>>

>Are there any other benefits to the chamber?

Well, I'm hardly an expert on guitar design, but as I understand, resonant chambers can add a lot of sustain and harmonic content. I think that's what they do in the Kleins. I know I liked the chambered Kleins better than the non-chambered ones, although those are very nice too. The chamber adds $$, of course.....

>>In fact, all my high-gain distortion sounds had to be "fixed" for the
>>Klein. They had all been biased on the bright side to make my other guitars
>>sound good. All the upper harmonics from the Klein made them sound muddy,
>>sort of like the way an archtop like an ES175 or something sounds through a
>>distortion pedal. Once I rolled off some of the treble, they sounded great
>>too.
>
>Was this a result of the chamber? Did you try a non-chambered version
>through your setup?

Actually, I didn't try any of them through my setup before I bought it. They had a rivera at the trade shows, and they sounded great through that. I just decided it would also sound good in my amp, and so far I think I was right.

>If a person were to head up to Sonoma and play a Klein, how strong is the
>'danger' that they'd drop a few grand for one? What kind of amps does he
>have up there? Do/Can you take your own?

heh, heh.... I think I played a Klein twice before I lost control of my checkbook....

Lorenzo is very accomodating and treats customers very well. When I've gone up there, I usually spend part of the day hanging around the ranch talking guitars, and the other part in sonoma eating cheese and having some wine. It's pretty low key, and you can certainly bring along your own amp. I think he had a Pierce and a Hi-mu, neither of which showed the guitars off all that well, imho. Ask Lorenzo if you can help him feed the llama. The Klein number is 707-938-4189.

kim

Kim Flint | Looper's Delight
kflint@annihilist.com | http://www.annihilist.com/loop/loop.html
http://www.annihilist.com/ | Loopers-Delight-request@annihilist.com