Re: symetrix delay PLEASE READ

James E Williamson wrote:

> mathias wrote:
> > Memory is cheap, what are they thinking?
> >
> >Not every delay is a loop machine. In fact all delay machines only
> serve
> >for looping in a limited way. Tempo tap helps but does not resolve.
> >

>     I talked to one of the designers of this delay on the phone a month
> ago for about two hours about this delay.  I'd like to address a few
> things.
>     first, the impetus for releasing this delay was that the used
> prices of low-res old delays (pcm-42, timeline, etc) are reaching
> ridiculous points in big markets.  Believe it or not, the pcm42 is
> widely used in movie post-production, and the hands-on control is the
> main reason.
>     Second, the reason there is so little memory in this delay is not
> because Symetrix are stingy, but the DSP which they are using is only
> capable of addressing a limited amount of memory.  In fact, some
> features had to be taken out to get as much delay time as there is. (in
> the original sofware, the bit resolution could be set anywhere between
> 1 and 24!)
>     If the 606 sells well, which it is, Symetrix will (or may already
> have) start work on a 606 on steroids, to be ready to ship by the end
> of the year(!).  This new machine will posess all the features of the
> 606 and more.  The memory will be upgradeable, there will be a digital
> output, there will be more parameters.  I have recomended that
> plex/rang features such as undo, multiply, and reverse (the three most
> important) be implemented, and they have taken me seriously.
>     The list on the 707(?) will be $200 more than the 606.  Think: the
> power of a vortex and two echoplexes with full midi control, full
> programmability, and 24-bit processing for less than the cost of ONE of
> Obie's Echoplexes.
>     This is what the looping community has been waiting for.  It will
> not happen, however, unless we go out and buy the 606.  If you have a
> suggestion as far as features of the 707 go, please give Symetrix a
> call.  You will be connected to somebody who knows whats up.
>     As far as I go, I'm still going to buy my two Echoplexes, but
> salivate over the quadruple loops I could make with two plexes AND a
> 707.
>
> Thanks...
>
> ps.If anybody's interested, I put together a tape compilation of local
> bands which have played at my shows (I put on underground music shows)
> in May.  I have continously mixed my own ambient loops in between each
> act.  The tape (96min long) was professionally duplicated with a
> full-colour j-card.  If anybody wants to buy one they're available for
> $6 postpaid.
> --
> James Eric Williamson - erwill@ix.netcom.com -
>erwill@heartland.bradley.edu
>           One of Peoria's most obscure ambient blues musicians

yeah , if the *707* will be a reality , that would be beautiful, i have 2
plexes & checked out the 606 for chorusing purposes only . to me , it
sounded exactly like a tc 2290 or 1210 spatial expander`s chorus,a chorus
i dislike....call me insane right now.  but the delays were incredable.
i returned it that day.
rick