Re: Ground Control with Echoplex

The ground control's midi functions are too limited to control the
echoplex. All it can send is program change messages and continuous
controllers in a very limited fashion, which doesn't cut it. It can't even
treat it's switches as momentary! It is really only meant to handle simple
patch changes on effects devices. There are many better pedals out there,
most of which are available used for considerably less money. (I got a
Digitech pmc-10 for $100, which is quite nice)  The echoplex footpedal
tutorial on the website explains what a midi controller needs to be able to
do for use with the plex.

Since many people have apparently been talked in to getting the g.c., we've
considered adding a mode to the echoplex software that would allow it to
work with program-change-only pedals. This would still be a limited
interface and wouldn't give all the intuitive control features in the
echoplex's interface, since only a limited amount of info can be conveyed
with program change messages. It would also mean violating the midi spec by
using program change messages for something other than changing programs,
which i'm not real fond of. Not to mention the bad taste of having to
change because someone else has the unfortunate bad design/good marketing
combo.....

amusing aside- I once had a conversation with Mr. Fripp about this
pedal...our opinions were about the same, except his were quite a bit
stronger since he had actually tried to tour with it...try storing all the
ground control's programming in your computer for backup and you'll see
what I mean real quick.

kim