Blowing our own trumpets (was: Music is best, indeed)

Pete:

>--They'll probably be too bashful to plug their own stuff, so
>        check out Robby Aceto's record and both of Jon Durant's
>        records, all on Alchemy.  (Yo Jon, what the hell were
>        you doing behind a desk all those years, anyway?!?
>        Practicing your chops between meetings?)  I hope i get
>        to hear at least of these guys live sometime soon.
>        Great stuff from both of them!  Very original loopage.

THo' they aren't ""official" releases in the Jon/Robby sense, I'd really
recommend work by or very own Matthias and Bryan.  I've one of Matthias'
albums which is direct, moving music which wouldn't be out of place on a
film soundtrack.  His looping is very discrete, - you don't really notice
it's there, though it's always going on, and the album includes some of the
most moving passages I've ever heard.  Guitarists - this man is not only a
gifted player, his distorted-hex-piezo tone is incredible!  File under "NOT
new age"!  Plus on the cover you get to see Matthias' feet!

Bryan's work is far more cerebral, more "ambient" in the traditional sense
- his collection across the spectrum of his work sound like a history of
the synthesiser!  The man's been doing this for a _long_ time - and it
shows!  He is a great keyboard player - there's some wonderful honky-tonk
playing here.  His latestwork includes some wonderful, evolving piano
peices - utterly meditiative yet givig a real focus for the attention.
Whatever you do, make sure you listen to "Sleep It Off" - in which Bryan
croons like a new-age Tony Bennett!  Wow!

This isn't intended as full reviews, just a reminder that we have some of
the finest loopers around, right here!!  Book me in for the LD CD...
speaking of which...?

Michael

Dr Michael Pycraft Hughes      Bioelectronic Research Centre, Rankine Bldg,
Tel: (+44) 141 330 5979        University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, U.K.
    "Wha's like us?  Damn few, and they're a' deid!" - Scottish proverb