Re Unsetlling Ambiences Clarification

Mathias Grobb wrote in response to a quote from Jerry Coker's "Improvising
Jazz" that I (Paul) submitted to the list:

<<Jerry Coker:
>     "The listener is constantly making predictions; actual infinitesimal
>predictions as to whether the next event will be a repetition of
>something,
>or something different. The player is constantly either confirming or
denying
>the predictions in the listerner's mind. As nearly as we can tell
>(Krachenbuehl at Yale and I) the listerner must come out right 50% of the
>time-if he is too successful in predicting, he will be bored; if he is too
>unsuccessful, he will give up and call the music "disorganized."

I really liked that one!

Paul Mindscape Explorer feeding our thoughts:
>      Thus if a player starts a repetative pattern, the listener's
>attention
>drops away as soon as he has successfully predicted that it is going to
>continue. Then, if the thing keeps going, the attention curve comes back
>up,
>and the listerner becomes interested in just how long the pattern is going
>continue. Similarly, if the player never repeats anything, no matter how
>tremendous an imagination he has, the listerner will decide that the game
>is
>not worth playing, that he is not going to be able to make any predictions
>right, and also stops listening.>>

Just to clarify--1) The quote is actually by Richmond Browne, jazz pianist
and instructor of theory at Yale University. And more importantly, so that
don't get accused of plagerism :-), 2) The second paragraph, that Mathias
mistakenly attributes to me "feeding our thoughts", was still part of Mr.
Browne's quote and, as it appears in Mr. Coker's book and in my original
post, was a second paragraph. In my original post this second paragraph may
have appeared to be my contribution to Mr. Brown's 1st paragraph which it
was
not. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Just giving credit where
credit is due. Mathias also wrote:

<<I was highly amazed when I once listened to a instrument that Marco
Antonio
Guimaraes developped: Its a hamer, hanging on a flexible axis of a motor,
balancing and "playing" tuned tubes, hanging around it - mechanic, but
unpredictable - you first think, but then, suddenly, sequences of notes
happen you can follow, as if you had predicted, strange...>>

I've always liked the sound of the chimes made by the "Woodstock Instrument
Co." These come in sets that are tuned to various pentatonic scales (they
even have one tuned to a "blues" scale) and have a beautifull full ringing
sound rich in harmonics. Check 'em out. -- Paul