Re: record stores

A brief comment on local record shops.  I worked for one in Evanston, IL
for a few years
while in college, and though they did stock a decent selection of
hard-to-find-items and imports,
the selection is entirely dependent on who works there (and knows what
to order), and
what the owner thinks will sell, even though I've often talked to the
owner and suggested
he carry more of such-and-such.  For my recent binges on ambient and
acid jazz CDs, I mostly have
had to resort to mail order (from Instinct and Soleilmoon).  I think
online-based mail-order
offers the best deal for those looking for something out of the
ordinary, particularly when
the site offers sound clips of what they are selling.  Labels that sell
direct on the net also have
more control over their prices.

Jim