Re: Guitar good, DJ's bad, etc (was LOOPING PHILOSOPHY)

> >On the subject of a hierarchy of expressive instruments:
> >
> >I'd rather hear Gary Burton on vibes (considered by some of you to be
> >less expressive than guitar/sax/etc.) than another bad imitation of
> >Jimmy Page on guitar or that awful sax player who couldn't even play
> >in tune with that mediocre lite jazz band I saw several years ago.
>
> I don't think anyone can argue with statements such as "I'd rather hear
> really good musician on one instrument than a really bad one on
>another".

Well, folks here have been discussing the relative merits of instruments
in terms of absolutes; which left me a lot of leverage.  ^_^

> It might be more interesting to compare musicians at the top of the
>skill
> spectrum, rather than at opposing ends.

Here I must respectfully bow out.  I don't see how anything is to be
gained discussing, for example, why Pat Metheny is a more expressive
soloist
than Gary Burton because his instrument is "inherently more expressive".
I'd rather not go there myself.

Paolo Valladolid