Good Ole Fashioned tape looping

I haven't seen any posts relating to reel to reel looping, is anyone stil
doing this? Last year I sold both of my reel to reels, I miss them and am
considering getting back into tape looping. Has anyone managed to come up
with a single machine system? Would this work; signal hit the record
head, using some kind of tape tension kluge, pull the tape some distance
away from the machine, pre-capstan, so that the distance between the
record and playback heads is increased. I've been messing with a Dokorder
that I picked up a couple of weeks ago and it seems to me this could
work. Any ideas?

thanks