Re: marimba, kalimba, steel drum sounds

This is probably too vague to be helpful, but a long time ago I got some
pretty convincing steel drum sounds with an envelope filter and a digital
chorus unit. The envelope filter had the threshhold set pretty high, so
that
most of the notes fell right on the cusp of the "wah".The release was
relatively short. (I got good results with a number of different settings,
so
fiddle around a bit. For reference, it was an MXR envelope filter.)  The
chorus was from an ART Multiverb EXT, with the modulation set fairly high.
It
gave sort of a ring modulator quality, but with a more defined note.

I don't have any of the specifics on the settings for these effects, but if
you have an envelope filter and a digital effects box you should be able to
make a guitar sound like a steel drum without _too_ much experimentation.

Drew W.