re:OB midi boxes (was cyclone (was Vortex info))

I always thought the OB Drummer sounded interesting too. I only had a brief
opportunity to play around with it once, ironically using it to control an
HR-16 drum machine. Even then I think I just had it do the on-board demo. I
don't remember it too well, but I do remember it doing interesting things
with tempo variations and giving the patterns a "human" feel.

It's probably never been super popular since it doesn't actually contain
it's own sounds, just midi drum sequences. But in some respects that makes
it more interesting, because you aren't constrained by a limited set of
samples on a given drum machine device. And as I recall, it has a very
large
number of drum pattern sequences programmed into it. Chances are a lot of
them are better than most of us could come up with on our own, especially
if
you just want something quick. And the real-world responsiveness part would
be really cool if it works.

Maybe one of the Oberheim folk could further enlighten us?

kim

At 02:17 PM 11/12/97 MST, Bret Moreland wrote:

>>Kim wrote:
>
>>The OB Strummer though, I never could figure out why anyone would want
>that...
>-----------------
>
>Speaking of these OB midi boxes, do any of you have experience with the
>Oberheim Drummer?  The description I see says that the drum patterns in
>the OB will respond to an audio input, say a guitar or bass, and create
>fills, etc.
>
>Is it musical?  I miss playing with a drummer.  I don't enjoy creating
>patterns on my Alesis HR-16 (though I like the drum sample sounds), and
>besides, they just repeat the program.  No dynamic response to live
>performance.  If the OB would control my Alesis, play a basic beat, and
>respond to what I play in some directed manner, this might feel more like
>working with a live drummer.
>
>Re Jamman availability and cost, I saw an internet ad for a Jamman for
>over $700 yesterday.  The copy said "it's a steal" at that price.  While
>this price is clearly absurd, I hope there isn't a trend of price upflex
>on the used market for the Jamman.  I sold mine, with full memory for
>$250
>this year.  The world needs an inexpensive dedicated, HiFi loop box for
>the people who would never think of spending the money for an EDP, but
>would still have the time of their lives with a looper.  The guy I sold
>mine to never expressed any interest in loopers, until I gave him the
>Jamman to try.  After 1 night with it he was sold!
>
>bret

Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com