Re: BeatSync (was vortex info)

Juergens question:
>>Asuming in the "fast" part, the Echoplex would be triggered every
>>500ms, and then suddenly the triggers only come every 10 seconds.
>>Does the Echoplex really wait these 10 seconds until it resets its
>>cycle, or does it only wait during some time "window" ?
>>And what does it play from 0.5s to 10s during the first long
>>loop (there isn't anything stored in this place of the RAM, I asume?)
>>
>>Sorry for the stupid question - I just cannot imagine what would happen.

Kims answer:
>No, it won't do that I'm afraid. As the clock varies within a certain
>tolerance, the echoplex will stay in sync by retriggering the loop to keep
>it lined up. But if the tempo changes too much, it assumes that you don't
>want to stay in sync anymore and it stops trying. So then the loop just
>plays on in its normal length. The echoplex can't do time stretching or
>tape-speed-changing effects. Still very useful though, because most clocks
>have a lot of jitter and drift around in speed. The sync keep things lined
>up, so that the loop and the sequencer or whatever don't drift from each
>other.

What great companion Kim sais is all true but maybe does not answer the
question quite exactly:
The sync corrections happens whenever a sync pulse comes in close to the
loop end. I understand from Juergens example that the Plex contains a 500ms
loop. When the sync signal does not come for 10 seconds, it repeats the
500ms phrase freely during the "time window" but does the syncing after 10
seconds since this is a multiple of 500ms. So yes, it stays in sync, but
does not slow down 20 times, as you might want :-).
And yes, if you slow down to say 9.8 seconds, it will not sync any more.

Kim again, after strong coffee:
>Does anyone know more about how those old clocks work? How many
>pulses are sent to define the time? It's possible it works, but I'm
>starting to doubt it. Matthias would know.

Me? Never heard of "old clocks". I also assumed simple pulses...

Matthias