Re: The magic of Torn

>Hi guys , I have a question about some of the sounds David Torn gets out
>of
>his
>equipment ( I know this is hard to answer , I`m just looking for ideas and
>information).
>And I hope this is not off-topic , but ;  Torn makes these huge, lush ,
>organic and warm/ugly carpets of sound that lies way back in the mix and
>sortof just envelopes the music. (I`m shure u know what I mean. If u dont,
>listen to his cd "tripping over God".
>
>Is this done with volumepedal and reverb/delay?? if so , how can he make
>it
>move and change throughout the loop?? how long do u think these loops
>are??
>5 secs or 90???
>I mean , I dont understand HOW he does it , but those things are the main
>reason I`m out there searching for a looper.Which I can`t find BTW.

Torn is a master, no doubt at all. I don't think there's any one technique
that is his "secret weapon", he just knows his tools very well, and finds
interesting uses for them.

But every once in a while, I get a kind of "A-ha" (NOT the band) experience
that gives me a clue into some of his techniques. I recently scored a
classic Electro-Harmonix Memory Man ($75 at a pawn shop in Salem, OR). I've
found one very Torn-like sound in it. Setting the delay time and feedback
to the minimum, and the wet/dry mix to fully wet, the delay time knob acts
as a kind of pitch control. his sounds very much like one of Torn's
sounds, though I imagine he uses a PCM 42 with a foot pedal controlling the
delay time.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra