Re: andy summers show...

> From: Michael Pycraft Hughes, PhD <pycraft@elec.gla.ac.uk>

> It's funny, but the most recent Andy Summers material fails to excite me
> the way his Police / XYZ stuff did.  It's as if he's become _too_
competent

I would agree.  I've purchased every one of his solo albums and end up
wondering why.  Although, there is always one song I like on each disc.
XYZ had some high points...but he should have found a singer.  The first
cut off of "The Golden Wire" is a still one of my personal favorites.

> - his older playing always sounded as if he was fighting to find the next
> note, a sense of tension and playing on the edge of his ability (Steve
Howe
> gives the same impression to me) where no-one knows how anything will
turn
> out.  His more recent stuff seems so slick it's heading towards more

IMO, this most innovative work was with the Police...BUT....his tone and
(subtle) use of effects is just as good today.  I'm not a huge fan of jazz
so his solo albums are a little harder for me to digest....and I can't help
but wonder what would happen if he used a little more of his rock
vocabulary in this writing.  But, his approach to guitar and melody are
still unique and interesting.  I particularly like the way he slides off of
notes and his warm, smooth, sustaining lead tone.

> Comments anyone?

I was glad to see that David H..? was not involved in the production of
"The Last Dance of Mr. X."  His cheesy keyboard sounds really bugged me!!

Matt