Re: andy summers show...

>> From: Michael Pycraft Hughes, PhD <pycraft@elec.gla.ac.uk>
>
>> It's funny, but the most recent Andy Summers material fails to excite me
>> the way his Police / XYZ stuff did.  It's as if he's become _too_
>competent
>
>I would agree.  I've purchased every one of his solo albums and end up
>wondering why.

Not a good sign!

>  Although, there is always one song I like on each disc.
>XYZ had some high points...but he should have found a singer.  The first
>cut off of "The Golden Wire" is a still one of my personal favorites.

I really like XYZ - and whilst he can't sing on the whole, he deadpans some
tracks quite well.  I'm disappointed this album seems to have been "buried"
as a bad job - I certainly an't find CD reissues about...

>IMO, this most innovative work was with the Police...BUT....his tone and
>(subtle) use of effects is just as good today.  I'm not a huge fan of jazz
>so his solo albums are a little harder for me to digest....and I can't
>help
>but wonder what would happen if he used a little more of his rock
>vocabulary in this writing.  But, his approach to guitar and melody are
>still unique and interesting.  I particularly like the way he slides off
>of
>notes and his warm, smooth, sustaining lead tone.

Ever since buying Charming Snakes (I think it was - does that have him
playing a Klien in a rather -ahem - unusual manner on the back?) I've beent
trying to figure out who it soundslike he's been listening to, and it's
struck me now - he sounds more like a cross between Andy Summers and Larry
Carlton (with maybe a dash of Holdsworth or Vai)... a pity, since he seems
to be diluting his style as his technique has improved.

Practising, kids - just say no.

Michael