RE: Looping with a drummer

I've had interesting results using my Jamster with a drummer.
If I try to set a loop to his beat, it seldom works. Neither of us has
perfect time, though we don't suck.
If I get a grooving loop going, it's no problem for him to get in the
pocket with it and stay there.
I should say that the music we play is completely improvised, so playing
contrary, unrelated rhythms is ok, but it'd be nice to synch perfectly
when we wanted to.
I know, practice, but why work when machines can do it for you?
He plays electronic drums, so I was thinking we could use a MIDI click out
 from his stuff to drive the Jamster,  or set aside one pad on his kit to
trigger it, or just put the control pedal ovr in his setup.
I'd like to maintain as much flexability as possible (no click
track/drummachine MIDI headset rig) and keep hardware
costs to a minimum.
Suggestions? Probably just practice more, eh?