Re: CD recorders

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Kim Flint wrote:

> uh, did you guys somehow miss the point that this particular Philips box
> records directly to both CD-R and CD-RW? With both digital and analog
> I/O? And only costs $600? CD-RW media is expensive now because it is new,
> same as CD-R disks were three years ago. So you could use the cheap CD-R
> and switch over whenever the price and extra convenience of CD-RW makes
> feel happy.
> For me, as someone beginning to contemplate a serious home studio, I had
> been wondering when abouts I should seriously consider getting a DAT deck
> for master mix downs, live recordings, etc. I would much rather get
> something that can go directly to CD. With that I can easily listen to
>it in
> the car, in the boom box at the park, in the stereo, at a friend's house,
> etc, none of which I can do with DAT or hard disk. I can store it in a
> shoebox in the garage and not worry about tape oxidation. I can pop it in
> the computer and pull up the data directly and easily. Why would I ever
> consider DAT now?

As someone who just bought a CD-RW drive, I'll tell you why. With a DAT,
if you screw up, you can just hit rewind and start again with minimum
fuss. Or if you want to pause for a few seconds (or days) and then
continue recording where you left off, you can. With CD-RW, you only get
one pass through. If you screw up, you have to perform an erase on the
media and start all over again. There's no hitting a pause button while
you switch guitars or your drummer leaves his throne to visit the ...um...

The way I see it, DAT is the tool for initially capturing the material.
The CD-RW is the tool for putting it on the CD when you are relatively
happy with your results.

       "...if one strives at hearing for the sake of constant virtue,
       out of seeking liberation from cyclic existence, gradually one
                           becomes a Hearer."
                           - Chandrakirti