RE:www-cycling74 wow.:)

>Curtis Bahn wrote:
>
>> Also check out MSP, David Zicarelli's signal processing extensions to
>MAX
>> at http://www.cycling74.com.  If you have a powerpc computer you can
>easily
>> design custom looping and overdubbing algorithms (amoung many other
>> things).  It's great !  Programs like MSP and LiSa are taking looping
>away
>> from the restrictions of commercial hardware, to a whole new level of
>> personal sound design and performance interaction.
>> crb
>>

>hey there...    I'm new to PC...home PC that is, recording.  What you
>wrote about
>this site and these programs is way too interesting to pass up... but I
>suspect
>its a bit over my head.
>I've got a P2 266/mmx w/ 6gb, and a few years experience in a studio.  How
>hard is
>this?  I don't think I'm dumb, I should be able to figure it out.  Any
>advice?

Unfortunately you need a powerpc macintosh to run MAX/MSP.  On Intel
machines, I don't know of anything that is as powerful, general and
inexpensive as MAX/MSP for simple, graphical development of interactive
audio processing.  Some possibilities may be "Pure Data and GEM" which
would run under windows NT -  and allows realtime video/graphics processing
as well as digital sound processing, or, the MARS digital audio workstation
environment which has a max-like graphical programming environment as a
"front-end" to a very powerful audio engine (you could loop for hours on
this thing, filtering, reversing, scrubbing, reverberating etc. and all you
would have to cart around would be one computer instead of racks of gear.)

Information on these developments, and other musical software of varying
degrees of interest to loopers, are listed on my software resources page at
the Electronic Music Foundation -  http://www.emf.org/sites/software.html.
I'll continue to add to this page as new software for performance becomes
available.

cheers,
crb

Curtis Bahn