Re: looping over the Internet - one day hopefully !

I used to mess around with reel-to-reels in the late seventies to try to
get looping echoes...A friend had a deck with the record and playback heads
widely separated and you could get about a 3/4 sec. delay that could either
build up by using a physically looped tape or get just one feedback cycle
on a regular tape.  The one-cycle version would feed the playback head
signal back into the record signal instantly and let you play along with a
delay.  But because the playback head was a couple of inches away, you
would get a 3/4 second latency time between when you played a note and when
you heard it.  This had a very peculiar effect--It was like you were
constantly playing off of somebody elses riffs (which were in fact what you
just played) while never actually hearing your own playing playing against
a 3/4 sec echo of itself...It was annoying for a while, but the mind is a
curiously adaptable thing, I think, and I found that I would play more
thoughtfully in some respects--it helped me become more aware of the
listening and thinking parts of playing, and the timing offset (i.e.,
latency)  made interesting loopish connections happen...Alas it was my
wealthy army brat friend's deck, and he moved away...

Rich Rath

At 12:22 PM 1/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>It occurs to me that looping would be particularly suited to internet
>jamming, as latency could be accommodated by using longish loop times, and
>by only adding contributions to the loop at the start of the next loop.
>All
>we need now is a TCP/IP-aware Jamman upgrade !!!  ;)
>
>>Some people of been exploring the musical possibilities of HUGE
>>latencies through internet jams. Last month some folks in NYC jammed
>>with some other folks in Japan where latencies where up around 10
>>seconds, at least! It's a feature, not a bug...

:.::.. rcr@way.net :..::.:.::.. http://way.net :..::.