Re: ANYONE KNOW THE MIDI PEDAL SCHEME FOR THE ECHOPLEX?

At 3:10 AM -0500 1/21/98, ENAT21213 wrote:
>Thanks for the quick reply Kim.
>      The echoplex sounds way more complex than my jamman.Im thinking of
>investing in one?The only problem I have is this midi controller/echoplex
>pedalboard access loop 1 thru 9 tap thing.
>   What I do is midi merge two ada mc1 midi pedal controllers together
>.This
>gives me access to all 19 of jammans loop functions without having to
>bank up
>and down.The ada mc1 has 10 buttons on the face of one pedalboard.So with
>the
>press of a button I can get around with ease (essential for me,especially
>live).I would love it if the echoplex would react in a similar way.

The Echoplex (the technology we at Aurisis develop that runs the echoplex
is called Loop, btw) can react that way, but I suspect that your current
pedals either won't do it or won't do it in a satisfactory way. You might
want to consider upgrading to a more capable pedal, or get the pedal
designed for the echoplex. Again, I'm not familiar with the ADA pedal, but
I believe it is a very simple one. You can't expect it to do everything....

>I realize
>the echoplex does not accept midi program changes messages.You mentioned
>that
>this feature will be added in a future echoplex.Any idea when this version
>will be avalible?

What I meant is we may add program change support to Loop for the purposes
of changing programs, which is the purpose of that midi command. So you
would be able to change from one setup to another by sending a program
change command, in the same way you change patches on a multi-effect or a
synth with program change messages.

Using program change messages for executing functions on the echoplex is
problematic, for one thing because it would interfere with us using it for
the intended purpose defined in the midi standard of changing programs.
Another reason is that a midi program change message simply contains less
information than note and continuous control messages. We use all of the
information in the later types to make the midi interface more elegant and
musically intuitive, while allowing you to control more things with fewer
buttons. Changing the interface to work with program change messages makes
it less intuitive and harder to use, and some functions won't be available
at all. And that's opposed to our general design philosophy for Loop. All
of our efforts are focused on designing an interface that is musically
useful and intuitive. We wouldn't want to release something that gives
anyone a lesser experience with Loop. We'll continue to investigate this
possibility, but I'm not very positive about it. Being compatible with
every ancient midi pedal is not a task I relish!

As far as when any future versions of Loop might be available, we don't
discuss that. Since we just released a major version a few months ago, you
might imagine that it won't be very soon, but we are always working on new
developments.

>Sounds like the midi note or continuous controller message for changing
>loops in echoplex may work for me?Not shure though,is anyone out there
>using a
>similar set up to mine with the echoplex?If so mabey you can let me know
>how
>this midi note/continouous controler thing works with your midi pedal.I
>really
>need to be able to jump from one function to the next with minimal
>tapping.

I have a digitech PMC-10 pedal set up to do this, and it works very well. I
got the pedal for $100.

>     Any Oberheim dealers in my area?I live in Myrtle Beach S.C.
>,anywhere in
>S.C.,N.C. or GA. would work.I would love to try one out.I'd probably
>order one
>right now if I knew I could access most functions(especially loops 1 thru
>9)
>with the press of one button.

You have to ask Oberheim about that.....

kim