Re: Kundun (and Steve Reich)

Some interesting ideas with the minimal music approaches, I think.
One of favorite pieces is Steve Reich's _Drumming_ which at
1 1/2 hours length involves "changes of phase position, pitch and
timbre" (liner notes). In this piece they start on tuned bongos and
gradually introduce voice, marimbas and glockenspiels while all
basically using the same rhythmic figure (with gradual changes of
relative phase). Another approach that he used on some pieces (e.g. _Six
Pianos), was changing phase in discrete steps of eigths etc. combined
with addition/ subtraction/ replacement of notes.

This latter technique seems to me to be simpler and maybe a more
feasible way of getting started (Although, I personally have not
really tried this to any depth). Any of you have some ideas on these
sorts of techniques, as applied to machine-aided looping.
Machine-aided looping (especially the 95% echo feedback type
of looping) basically uses similar concepts, doesn't it?

Thanks for the posts in this direction - this induces some new (well,
actually old - let's say recycled) ideas!