Re: Steve Reich, phase changes etc.

There is a cool way of doing this (gradual phase changes) with a drum
machine and a looper.
Connect the drum machine to the looper and MIDI sync them together with
the drum machine being the master. Record a loop of the drum machine
groove and keep the drum machine groove on. Next there are two ways of
hearing a gradual phase change:

1) Disconnect the MIDI sync and one of the two machines will inevitable
speed up or slow down
2) Disconnect the MIDI and increase or decrease the drum machine tempo
by a very small amount (e.g. from 90 to 91 or whatever)

Last of all, sit back and listen to the phase changes - hate to admit it
but I've
done this for hours - automatic minimal music!

BTW, this is more or less based on the technique used by Reich on the
_It's Gonna Rain_

Talk to ya later, Rob