Re: Re: Another NAMM Report

At 2:00 PM -0500 2/1/98, Dpcoffin@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 2/1/98 10:11:10 AM, dAve wrote:
>
>>> The New E-Bow has an octave-up switch...
>>>

>>What? E-Bows set up a magnetic field which excites the string. It's the
>string
>>length and taughtness that controls the pitch not the magnetic field. Or
>am I
>>missing something?

I would guess it's like the the Fernandes Sustainer, which has an octave
switch. (and a higher harmonics switch, which is my favorite). In the
octave position, the magnetic field from the sustainer thing is oscillating
an octave up from the fundamental of the string. (or emphasizing that
frequency, anyway.) This causes the positive feedback loop to happen with
the 2nd harmonic oscillation on the string instead of the fundamental, and
that's what you hear sustaining. Like when you pluck a string and tap it at
the 12th fret to get the harmonic. Basically you cause the fundamentaly to
die out fast, leaving the 2nd harmonic.

kim