RE: Bitchery vs. Fair Comment

The latter seems to be something Fripp places a lot of emphasis on for the
purpose of not having to be weighted down as he sees it by demands that
take you out of the spirit of listening, hearing and knowing all music has
to give you. Read any of his interviews, follow his career paths and
various incarnate projects and such and theres a pattern of someone who is
always looking for ways to step outside of himself and grow into something
new that was not present before.

The reactions Ive read thus far seem to say more about the expectations
and wishes of the listener or audience as opposed to what the music needed
to be and what it said or was trying to tell them.

There are many ways to listen and there is always great difficulty in
hearing something free from our own perceptions which can often times be a
distraction and misleading.

I saw Fripp at The Painted Bride in Philly and I came away with a lot of
things: Boredom, Beauty, Repetition, Balance, Chaos and Extreme
Calculation, Discipline, Mega-Extreme Organized thought Patterns that were
Improvisationally intuitive. All this stuff was happening all at once at
any given time.

I tend to view music vividly as constantly contrasting and moving colors
and The Painted Bride Performance at times was really cool, thrilling and
concurrently really dull to the point of ennui - but I could appreciate it
and hear some - not quite all but enough of what was going on to see what
the big picture could be and was probably about.

My only complaint was there was just way too much going so subtly  at The
Bride Show - Fripp was a pretty busy player just in a way you wouldn't
recognize it. Ironically he was giving in (IMHO) to what so many people
wanted to see him do - play a lot of notes or make lots of noise - he did
it his way.

None of this "insight", came to me overnight. Its been unraveling ever
since I saw his performance and still keeps unfolding the more I reflect
on the experience.

No it aint the best thing since Ziplock bags Or Christy Canyon but its
truly something else which is often missing way too often in music lately
- an original perspective that can easilly be dismissed and overlooked -
which is somehow where Fripp wants and seems to be right now.

JP