Re: sampling rights

At 04:41 PM 2/4/98 est, Edward_Chang@mail.amsinc.com wrote:

>  Oswald samples probably
>  around 200 songs on his Plunderphonics record and I'm wondering if he
>  might've done anything more than just putting it out.

Since you picked a particularly outrageous example, Oswald was not just
sued, he was forced to destroy both all remaining copies of his first CD
*and* the master tapes.  The only reason they didn't try to round up all
the ones that had already gone out was because some rich (i.e., with deep
pockets) or otherwise influential library absolutely refused to give up
their copy.

Now he also had outrageous cover art, which probably had more direct
effects...

See http://www.interlog.com/~vacuvox for additional info on Oswald.

--
Caleb Deupree
cdeupree@interagp.com

Computers are useless; they can only give you answers
-- Pablo Picasso