RE: RE: Frippery vs. Bitchery + Markus Reuter's "Taster" + Bye

----------
From:   Kim Flint
Sent:   05 February 1998 07:45
To:     Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Cc:     Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Subject:        Re:  RE: Frippery vs. Bitchery

>>In a message dated 2/4/98 12:39:41 PM, Brian wrote:
>>
>>>Personally, I imagine that if I had bothered to stand in the hour-long
>>>queue at the recent Night Watch launch, and had a chat with him, I
probably
>>>wouldn't like him as a person. And why would I want his written
autograph,
>>>when I have his musical autograph on the CD in my hand?
>>

>another funny thing. People talk about Fripp on this list every now and
>then, but they almost never talk about what he actually does with
>looping.
>think I know more about his looping from talking to him directly about it
>than I ever learned from anybody here...

Well, if I had the opportunity to actually _talk_ with the guy, I'm sure
we
would get on just fine. I'm sure he would make fewer assumptions about me
than I would about him. My point was that many of the opinions people have
about him are formed at such autograph-signing sessions or other public
appearances, where we aren't seeing the Real Fripp. I may even go so far
as
to say that the Real Fripp can be found between the bits on the tracks of
the CD, and I have little inclination to look anywhere else. When I listen
to A Blessing Of Tears or Radiophonics, I know all I _need_ to know about
the guy, though it would still be very interesting to discuss the theory
and practice of looping with him in person.

When it comes pure Fripp looping-with-guitar, I swear by his "Bringing
Down
The Light", the last track on the Sylvian/Fripp "First Day" album, and the
build-ups before his solos on Sylvian/Fripp's "Damage" live album. On
both,
you can follow which notes he's playing when, to see how he got there -
which decreased my respect for him not one iota.

Of course, we Loopers are a bit short of heroes, so it's not surprising
that folks like Fripp, Torn, Eno, Riley get slightly canonized.

Another chap I recommend highly in looping circles in Paul Schutze. If you
find his Apart album (Virgin Ambient AMBT6, 1995), GRAB! I don't know for
sure if he's looping live in the sense used on this list, but it sure
sounds like it. Repetition of acoustic and analogue synth sounds, no
guitar. Makes train journeys fly by in a theta state...

---

Also: I've had some more mail from Markus Reuter about his "Taster" live
looping CD, which Michael Peters recommended to you folks recently. Just
in
case you guys lost the information, here's Markus' mail .sig file, with
all
the relevant URLs. Now you have NO excuse! 8{

-> Markus  Reuter,  Dammwiese  7,  33613  Bielefeld,   Germany <-
-> email  mreuter@post.uni-bielefeld.de <-> phone (521) 896248 <-
-> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mpeters/markus.htm <-
-> check out my newly released cd "TASTER  -  live in cologne" <-
-> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mpeters/taster.htm <-

---

Thanks to the folks who sent / posted the unsubscribe info. I'm leaving
the
list for now, until I get some more mail bandwidth (I have a ThinkPad and
9600bps mobile phone link). Still, I'll keep an eye on the Web site, and
I'm especially interested in contributing to the next Loopers' CD...

Cheers,

Brian Thomson, London, UK
bnt@ibm.net

Attachment converted: shards o' data:WINMAIL.DAT (????/----) (00000D41)